Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...

On Monday, I reached the summit of Mt. Antero (14,276 ft.) It is the second 14er I’ve hiked this year and my ninth overall. There is a 4WD road that goes up to 13,700 feet. The standard route is the 4WD road. I didn’t want to hike up the 4WD road so I took a different route that avoided the road except for a small section near the end. I started at Browns Creek Trailhead at an elevation of 8,920 feet. I hiked up the Little Browns Creek Trail. Round trip for this route is listed as 14 miles. I wanted to be on top before the 4WD traffic got there, so I started the hike on Sunday. I hiked up about half way and camped. I was up early Monday morning, and I made it to the top of Mt Antero by 8:45 AM. I had the summit to myself the whole time I was up there. Some 4WD traffic had reached the end of the road while I was on the summit, but nobody was willing to take the short hike. They were either too attached to their veeHICles, or they were looking for gems. Apparently, the mountain is big for gem collectors. On the way down, I saw the three people hiking up the road (the standard route). I think they were the only ones going to the summit. Once I was off the road, I didn’t see a soul until I was a half mile away from my car.
View of Mt. Antero from the end of the 4WD road.
Mt. Princeton on the right. Yale, Harvard, & Columbia are to the left of Princeton
Mt. Shavano (left) & Tabeguache Peak(right)
Looking southwest from the summit.
Me on the summit
Little Browns Creek Trail. Pikes Peak is on the horizon.
Looking back on the trail. The summit is not visible

3 comments:

Pops said...

Another "WOW" hike. Guess that's to be expected on top of 14'ers. I really like the pictures and narratives. Keep hiking & posting.

Bob Chancey said...

I think someone should invent garlic flavored gum.

Virginia said...

I'm envious of you being able to hike the distances you do. Thanks for sharing your experience. Mom