Sunday, July 01, 2007

Elevation

I climbed my first 14er today. It is my second 14er if you can count riding up Pikes Peak in a vehicle in 1981. Anyway, I made it up Quandary Peak this morning. Its elevation is 14,265 Feet. It is a Class 1 trail all the way up. That means it is the easiest type of trail in the trail ratings. It was easy except for the altitude. The altitude was getting to me during that last 1000 feet of elevation gain. I gutted it out though. Lots of people on this hike. There is easy access to the trailhead, and it is a short hike to the top. Only 5.4 miles for a round trip. Although it felt longer. The top reminded me of Blood Mountain on a Saturday with all the people. That was all right though, most of the people were friendly. The only negative were some of the dog owners. Too many of them had no control over their dogs. A couple of dogs attacked another dog on top. These same dogs chased off a bunch of mountain goats on the way down. Owners were constantly yelling at their dogs to come back and the dogs were ignoring them. One dog was very lucky it didn't slide off the mountain on a snowfield. The majority of the trail was loose rocks. I would think that would be rough on the dog's paws; I know it was rough on my feet, and I wearing boots. Anyway, after tiring of the dog owners, I went about 100 feet down the mountain and enjoyed the view in peace. Here are some pictures.
Look! There is a pika on the rock.
View from the top of Quandary Peak. Looking down on McCullough Gulch
Me on the western ridge of Quandary Peak about a 100 feet off the summit.
Me again with Mt. Bross, Mt. Lincoln, & Mt. Cameron in the background. They are all 14ers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent 10 minutes on a comment - were "isn't" it?

-----dave

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I can actually see the pica on the rock this time! :-)