Monday, September 19, 2011

Show Me

Another weekend, another 14er. I climbed Missouri Mountain on Sunday. At 14,073 feet, Missouri Mountain is shortest of the 14ers I did this season, but it may be my favorite of the five. I used the Missouri Gulch Trailhead which is the same trailhead I used the previous weekend for my hike up Mt. Belford and Mt. Oxford. The hike is 10 miles round trip. I started at daybreak. It was a bit on the cold side. The mountains had a touch of snow on them at the higher elevations. There was dramatic drop in the number of people hiking this weekend. I saw only four other people climbing Missouri Mountain. I had the summit to myself. The wind was a bit brutal up top, but I found a spot out of the wind on southwest side where I was able sit and enjoy the view. On the way down, I warmed up enough to strip down to shorts and a short sleeve shirt. This is probably it for my tour of 14ers in Sawatch Range this season. I'll be busy with the Rapids back in town the next couple of weekends. It won’t be long for it to be too cold for my tastes at the higher elevations. Anyway, enjoy the photos.
The climb up this ridge is where the trail gets a little tough.
Looking back on the easy part of the trail.
Looking back from the top of the ridge. Mt. Belford (Left) Mt. Harvard (right)
Huron Peak
The trail on the ridge
The top of Missouri Mountain is in sight.
View from the top. The Three Apostles are in the clouds.
Huron Peak
Mt. Princeton, Mt. Yale, Mt. Antero, Mt. Shavano, & Tabeguache Peak
Harvard and Columbia on the left.
The ridge of Missouri Mtn. La Plata Peak (center) Mt. Elbert (right)
Missouri Gulch. The shoulder of Mt. Belford is on the right.
Mt. Belford is on the left. Mt. Oxford is peaking out in the middle.
Me
Mt. Belford from Missouri Gulch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

really some nice views,
it does look like it is getting cold

Pops said...

You do go on some fantastic hikes. Have fun at the soccer games. I'm really enjoying the football season. My Noles got pretty beat up against OK Saturday, but still played fairly decent.

Jim said...

Which one is Elbert? Is it the one on the back right with snow?

Mighty Mike said...

Elbert is the one on the back right with snow. There is a ridge in front of it with a little bit of snow. That is South Elbert Peak.

Bob Chancey said...

I'm a mountain man that listens to mountain music, watches Mountaineers football, and drinks Mountain Dew. What about you?

Virginia said...

Love looking at your photos in the large view. They're incredible. I need to figure out how to remember your captions. The easy one was "Me".

Mom