Tuesday, September 03, 2013

This Is Massive

On Labor Day, I summited Mt. Massive. At 14,421 feet, it is the second highest peak in Colorado. This mountain has been high on my list of 14ers to do since I moved to Colorado in 2006. It didn’t disappoint. I did what is considered the standard route that goes up the east slopes of the mountain. The route is 13.75 miles long. I decided to do this hike over two days. I got to the trailhead late in the afternoon. I decided to have my dinner at the trailhead so that I didn’t have to carry it. I then hiked about 3 and half miles to tree line. It rained a little bit on the hike, but it had stopped by the time I made camp.

I was on the trail way before sunrise on Monday morning. It was quite dark. Just a slither of the Moon was visible in the sky. I was above 13,000 feet when the sun finally rose. It was good to feel the warmth as well as see the beauty that was all around me.
Looking towards Leadville in the early morning light
The summit of Mt. Massive saw the sunrise before me
Sunrise
Hiking towards the saddle (13,900 ft).  From there, it is a right turn and follow the ridge to the summit.
View of La Plata Peak from just above the saddle.
I made the summit around 7:45 AM. There were a couple of other people right behind me. They started at the North Halfmoon Creek Trailhead and went up the southwest slopes. That route is becoming the more popular route due to it being shorter. That way is steeper and requires a four-wheel drive to get to the trailhead. While I didn’t get to have the summit to myself, it wasn’t that crowded. The view was pretty amazing. Mt Massive has more area above 14,000 feet than any other mountain in the lower 48. Mt Rainer in Washington is a close second.
The summit from the false summit
Looking back at the false summit.  Mt Elbert is just to the left of the false summit.  La Plata Peak is on the right.
The summit of Mt. Massive
Me on the summit
View to the west.  North Halfmoon Lakes are below
The northwest peaks of Mt. Massive
After spending about 45 minutes on top enjoying the view, I decided to slowly make my way down the mountain. On the way down, I picked up my camping gear at my tree line camp. I made it back to my car without any problems. I was tired but quite satisfied.
Looking back at the summit
Looking back at Mt Massive
On the way back to tree line
Mt Elbert & my campsite

4 comments:

Pops said...

Looks like you labored pretty hard on Labor day. Hope the knee is holding up. Have fun.

gg said...

Beautiful pictures.

Jim said...

Well Done!!!! Is that #15?

Mighty Mike said...

It is #15.