Monday, September 17, 2012

It's About Time

I finally hiked a 14er this hiking season. It is has been hard to try and fit one in this season. I wasn’t as in shape as I would like to be in order to attempt one. It was pretty much now or never though. Anyway, I climbed Huron Peak on Sunday. Summit Post has the elevation at 14,012 feet. I have seen other sites that have the elevation at 14,009 and 14,010 feet. My map has it as 14,003 feet. That is an old survey though. I started my hike at Winfield which is a ghost town. The starting elevation is around 10,260 feet. The first two miles of my hike was on a 4-wheel drive road. I don’t have a 4WD vehicle, so I had to hike it. The first two miles were easy. My elevation was only around 10,600 feet at the end of the 4WD road. The trail was a steady up from here. The trail was great and not too steep considering that from the end of the 4WD road to the top was only two miles. The only place that felt overly steep was the last quarter mile. That was more me not spending enough time at elevation this year. I have certainly hiked tougher 14ers. Here are my pictures.
Early morning view, near tree line.
Huron Peak
A touch of snow near the false summit
Ice Mountain and The Three Apostles
The Top
LaPlata Peak (left) and Mt. Elbert (Right)
Me on Top
Looking at The Three Apostles
Lake Ann, Continental Divide, & Taylor Park Reservoir
Looking west on the way down
Silver Basin (left) and Virgina Peak & Winfield Peak (Right)
View from the 4WD Road
Clear Creek
Fall Color near Winfield

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SEPTEMBER WITH FRESH SNOW AND YELLOW TREES, GOOD PICS

Stacy & Jim said...

Did you update your shirt?

Virginia said...

Is there a 4WD vehicle in your future? Mom