Saturday, August 29, 2009

No Surrender

Yesterday, I climbed La Plata Peak. It is my first 14er of the year. It is Colorado’s 5th highest mountain at 14,336 feet. Round trip for the hike is nine miles. I camped out at Twin Peaks Campground, which about a 5-minute drive from the trailhead.
Here is a zoom view of La Plata Peak from Independence Pass. Taken the day before the hike.
The sky after sunset at my campsite.
I got an early start. I’m glad I did. The hike was steep all the way up. Above tree line I saw lots of pikas on the rocks. It was probably the most pikas I had seen on hike. They made a lot of noise.
Looking back on the trail after getting above tree line.
The summit is in sight, but it is further than it looks as well as steeper.
As I got further above tree line, I noticed a couple of hikers catching up to me. They were a German couple that I had passed early in the hike. Seeing them gaining ground on me helped keep me from surrendering to the altitude. They gave me the extra push I needed because La Plata was kicking my buttock. I’m not in as good as shape as I would like for hikes like this. I was able to hold them off. I was first to summit La Plata on the day. I probably stayed up top for over an hour. The weather was great. There were numerous 14ers visible from the top including a great view of Mt. Elbert.
Me on the summit
Ellingwood Ridge up front and Mt. Elbert in the back.
Looking back my hike.
A snowfield just off the summit.
The way down was long and hot. I was in the shade on the way up. I passed quite few people going up on my way down. I talked to one guy who was a trail maintainer for a section of A.T. north of Woody Gap in Georgia. I knew his trail well. I also passed a guy using a walkie-talkie. I saw a few marmots on the way down as well. Going down was just as tiring due the steep talus slopes, but I made. I don’t know if I’ll get to do another 14er this year, but I’m glad I got to do one

-MM

4 comments:

Pops said...

Bet the AT guy was having trouble with the altitude. Great pictures. I envy you. We just got back from a mini HS class re-union at Unico Lodge. Good time with a bunch of old folks.

Jim said...

Did you start at 2:00 am again?

Mighty Mike said...

I was on the trail at 5:10 A.M.

gg said...

no pika pics?