Sunday, September 28, 2008

Turn Of The Century

Ouch! My Bulldogs got whooped Saturday night. I was worried about the mistakes they had been making. I knew they wouldn’t be able to get away with it if Alabama was on top of their game. And of course, Alabama was ready and then some. I did like the Dawgs spirit in the 2nd half. At least that was positive. With a few more weekends of upsets, the Dawgs can get back in it with their schedule if they fix their mistakes. They still control their own destiny in the SEC. So I’m hoping for a rematch in the SEC championship game. But that is a long ways away.

The Rapids gave me solace after the Dawgs game. The replay of the Rapids game started right after the Dawgs game so I was able to watch it without knowing the score. The Rapids beat New York on the road 5-4. Wild game, there were 7 goals in the first half. Looks like the Rapids new coach has gotten thing sorted out. They are 3-0-1 in their last 4 games.

On Sunday, I hiked off my football frustrations. I climbed another 14er. This time it was Mt. Sherman, which has an elevation of 14,036 Ft. Mt. Sherman is located between Fairplay and Leadville. I got on the trail at about 8:00 A.M. The trail starting out is a 4-wheel drive road. If I had a high clearance vehicle, I could have driven to a trailhead further up the mountain. As it was, I estimate my hike to the top was only about 3.5 miles. The trail passes lots of old mines. I reached the top at about 10:00 A.M. I actually had it to myself for about 10 minutes. There were not that many people hiking this 14er compared to the other 14ers I’ve done. It is an easy hike for a 14er as well.
Mt. Sherman is straight ahead. Hilltop Mine is on the left.
The ridge that leads to the top of Mt. Sherman
Me on top of Mt. Sherman
Mt. Elbert is visible to the right of me and the yellow trees. Mt. Massive is on the right. It is in the shadows of the clouds.
View of Mt. Democrat, Mt. Cameron, Mt. Bross, Mt. Lincoln, Torreys Peak, Grays Peak, and possibly Quandary Peak
View towards Leadville and Mt. Massive
One of the buildings at Hilltop Mine
Some fall color along Fourmile Road, which is at least 11 miles long.
There is a Wow factor to the fall color in the South Park and Kenosha Pass area. I went through Kenosha Pass at about 1:00 P.M. on the way back, and there were cars parked everywhere. People were checking out the colors. It was pretty spectacular there. Too many people for me though.

By the way, this is my 100th post. Cheers,

-MM

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 100th post. Climbing a
14'er is a great way to celebrate it. Sorry about the Dawgs. My Noles looked a little bit better this week. If we can beat Miami Saturday we may break into the top 25.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcel, this is the blog I was telling you all about. Aren't these mountains cool?

-Bob Chancey

Anonymous said...

Yes, blog is good but I'm over mountain phase and I'm into now cats.

mark said...

Thanks for the card. Kids are home and doing well. When you are ready to change diapers feel free to drop by :)

Anonymous said...

If I come out to CO next year on my birthday, do you think you can get me up on Mt. Sherman? Your pictures are great. I may have to settle for prints of them.