Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Picture This

Charles & Tina went back home last Saturday. I needed something to do on Sunday. So I did something they can't do. I went to Rocky Mountain National Park on the weekend. My destination in the park was Estes Cone. It is a small mountain compared to others in the park. It peaks out at 11,006 Ft., and the trail is 3.2 miles to the summit of Estes Cone from the Longs Peak trailhead. The first part of the hike is relatively easy. The snow has melted significantly since I was in the area a few weeks back. However, there were quite a few places where it still covered the trail. The snow was a bit softer this time too. It went past my knees in some of those soft places. Overall it was not bad. The final 0.7 miles of the hike was tough. It wasn't because of the snow or altitude. It was just steep. The views on top were worth it. 360° View with lots of rocks. I even had the summit to myself for about 30 minutes.
View of Mt. Meeker, Longs Peak, & Mt. Lady Washington from Estes Cone
Me on one of the rocks of Estes Cone. It was windy enough for me to put on a jacket.
I have finished going through all the pictures from the Sand Dunes trip. I had taken 314 Photos. Charles & Tina had given me similar amounts of photos. This is one of the problems & benefits of the digital age. We don't have to be selective about the photos we take. Which is good, it allows for more experimentation. Anyway, additional selected photos are up on My Picasa picture site. Check them out if you like.

-M

No comments: