Sunday, July 29, 2007

Back On My Feet

Got back to hiking today. Although I went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks recently, there wasn't much in the way of hiking on that trip. It was mainly driving around looking at geysers, wildlife, and views. My last hike at a significant elevation was Quandary Peak on July 1st. So today I got off my rear end and back up on my feet. I drove to the East Portal of the Moffat Tunnel. I parked the car there and went off into the James Peak Wilderness.
This is an old school house in Tolland, CO. It is located along the road and train tracks that lead to the tunnel.

Moffat Tunnel's East Portal. The trailhead is to the right of the tunnel.





I went to Crater Lakes. The trail goes between two lakes that are probably only 100 yards apart. Very scenic. The wild flowers were blooming in full force. There is another lake further up the mountainside at about 11,000 feet. The trail up was steep, but the scenery was again great. I didn't spend as much time as I would like up there. It looked like a storm might be brewing. So I came on down. It started to rain before I got back to my car. I didn't get too wet. It didn't start raining hard till after I got to my car. There were still people going up despite the rain and lightning. That surprised me.


That's me looking down on one of the lower lakes.








A view of the lower lakes.









If you haven't discovered them already, I have additional pictures up of the Grand Teton & Yellowstone trip on my Picasa site. I just finished adding the labels to them the other day. Check them out if you like.

-M

No comments: