Monday, July 19, 2010

Magnificent

Since my last post I have watched a lot of soccer, I’ve been sick, and I have done a lot of non-blog worthy stuff. With me being better and the World Cup over, I managed to go for a blog worthy hike on Sunday. I drove up to Brainard Lake Recreation Area in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. I have done hikes in this area before. It is close to Denver and is extremely popular for good reason. I decided to hike Mt. Audubon (13,233 feet). I have had my eye on Mt. Audubon for a while. It is a relatively easy 13er that I figured would be good one to do early in the hiking season. As advertised, it was easy. The round trip hike was about 8 miles. There were lots of wildflowers, pikas, and magnificent views. Enough of this writing, here are the pictures.



I believe this is a White-tailed Ptarmigan







Flowers along the slope of Mt. Audubon









Pika on the rock.








Flowers and Longs Peak







The summit of Mt. Audubon






Me on top. Lake Granby is on the left in the distance.






Me on top with Longs Peak in the background







Looking south at the Indian Peaks with Blue Lake down below






Northwest view with Upper Coney Lake below







Columbine




Mitchell Lake

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent last pic
think I'll start heading out aug 31 to check it out for myself

gg said...

great pictures. especially the pika on the rock.

Anonymous said...

How long did it take you to find the pika and get him to pose on the rock?

Mighty Mike said...

Thanks for the comments. It is hard to get pictures of pikas. I saw a bunch of pikas on the way up and got lucky with one of them. I generally only stop long enough to take a picture on the way up. On the way down, I didn't see too many. There too many people on the trail then.

Unknown said...

Great pics! I hiked Mt. Audubon after reading your blog post, it was a great hike!