Monday, August 09, 2010

Rosalie

On Sunday, I hiked to the top of Rosalie Peak. (13,575 Ft.) It is a part of the Mt. Evans group. With Rosalie Peak being so close to Denver you would think it would be overused, but surprisingly, it is not. I had the mountain to myself for most of the morning. It was almost noon before I saw someone else going up. I saw some other people later, but I don’t think they were going to the top. I started at the Deer Creek Trailhead (9,248 Ft.) and hiked up the Tanglewood Trail to a small pass on the ridgeline. From there, I took a left and followed the ridgeline to the top. There is no trail, not even a rock cairn. I figured there would have been a worn path. Anyway, no big deal, it was class 1 hike all the way to the top. The hike kicked my butt though. It was not hard; I’m just not in shape. I haven’t done enough hiking this summer. My endurance is not there. The hike was 9.5 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 4,327 feet. It was not the cakewalk that Mt. Audubon was three weeks back. Despite my lack of fitness, I made it and enjoyed the view. Here are the pictures.





Treeline






Looking down on Roosevelt Lakes





Left to Right: Mt. Bierstadt, Mt. Evans, and me.





View towards South Park





Another view from the top of Rosalie Peak





The way down (also the way up)

No comments: