Monday, January 23, 2012

Training Day

Life found me outside of Colorado this past weekend. I traveled to Phoenix, Arizona for an extended weekend. I did a little hiking and caught a soccer game. This post is part 1 of 2 two posts that I will dedicate to this trip.

I arrived in Phoenix late Thursday night. Despite my late arrival, I got up early and went hiking Friday morning. I climbed Picketpost Mountain which is located east of Phoenix near the small town of Superior. While Picketpost Mountain only has an elevation of 4375 feet, it is a tough climb. There is a lot of scrambling over rocks in order to get up the mountain. I had to use my hands quite a few times. There are routes marked by rock cairns and paint; however, it is quite easy to get off route. I found my way though. I had the top to myself. I did see a couple of people going up as I was going down. But for the most part I had the mountain to myself. Here are some pictures from the hike.
The way up Picketpost Mtn.
Looking west towards Phoenix & US 60
Mailbox on top.
Superior, AZ
Me on top
Me again
Southern view
Going Down
Cactus
Picketpost Mtn.
Friday afternoon/evening, I attended the US Men’s soccer training session. They had an open practice for fans to watch at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. I had a VIP pass since I am such an important person. I got to watch the practice from field level. The practice consisted of a few drills and some eight on eight. After practice, the players came over to the fans and signed autographs. I didn’t have anything with me that I wanted to get autographed. So I just took pictures and shock hands with a few of the players. I did have a short chat with Jeff Larentowicz. He plays for the Rapids my favorite club team. Here are some pictures from the training session.
Inside University of Phoenix Stadium with the roof open
Head Coach Jurgen Klinsmann (center)
Several US Soccer players
More players
Jermaine Jones kicking the ball
A.J. DelaGarza and Benny Feilhaber

4 comments:

Jim said...

Looks like a cool trip. How come you did not get your picture taken with "Big Red"?

Mighty Mike said...

Because whenever I get my picture taken with somebody, Carter thinks it is a fake.

carter said...

Hey, I think you meant sometimes because I believed you on that last birthday picture! Also really cool mountain pictures, and really-super-duper cool soccer pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pops said...

It looks like you went to AZ at the right time of year. Don't think that hike would have been much fun during the summer. I agree with Carter - cool mtn pics.