Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Calling

On July 19th, I started a multi-day hiking trip on the Colorado Trail. This post is about the first two days of the trip. My parents dropped me off at Jefferson Lake Road which is about 6 miles from Kenosha Pass. I did a hike towards Kenosha Pass from this trailhead the previous weekend. This time I was out for a night and going in the opposite direction. The day started with a steady climb of 6 miles to Georgia Pass (11,874 feet). It was cloudy day. After Georgia Pass, I dropped down to the North Fork Swan River (9,981 feet). I then had a steep climb up to a ridge that was above 11,000 feet. I camped up on this ridge.
Hiking towards Georgia Pass
Looking Back at South Park
Georgia Pass
Colorado Trail & Continental Divide Trail Markers
Middle Fork Swan River
The next day I hiked down to Colorado Highway 9 to a spot about halfway between Breckenridge and Frisco. The trail went through beetle infested forests where a lot of the trees had been cut down. I met my parents at the Gold Hill Trailhead on Highway 9. I hung out with them the rest of the day. Jefferson Lake Road to Gold Hill Trailhead is about 27 miles.
Looking Towards Breckenridge
Wildflowers & Mountains
Cleared beetle infested forest
Looking down on the Gold Hill Trail on Highway 9

2 comments:

Pops said...

Looks like you had an interesting & strenuous hike.

Jim said...

Cool!! Looking forward to seeing more. Also you need to help Chuck post some of the wedding photos to his blog