Sunday, July 13, 2008

Life And How To Live It

I had a busy day on Sunday. I got up early and drove to Summit Lake, which is just below Mt. Evans. From Summit Lake I hike hiked up Mt. Spalding, which has an elevation of 13,842 feet. However, the elevation of Summit Lake is 12,830 feet. So the elevation gain wasn’t that bad. Most of the elevation was gained within a mile. It was a good altitude workout, which was what I wanted. I didn’t want to stress out my knee too much, but I needed to breathe in some thin air. I was quite tempted to hike up Mt. Evans from Mt. Spalding. But I purposely did this hike on Sunday because I had somewhere I had to be in the afternoon. I didn’t want to hurt myself by trying too much too soon again. I knew my plans would keep me from doing too much. Anyway, here are some pictures.




Me on top of Mt. Spalding





Looking towards Guanella Pass. The bowl on the mtn. on the left is where the lakes that I hiked to last weekend are.




Me on Mt. Spalding with Mt. Evans behind me.










Flowers














Looking down on the Chicago Lakes. (That is not the trail)








After the hike, I went home and cleaned up. Then I went to the women’s soccer game between US and Brazil. The game was ok. The US won 1-0 on a goal set-up by a defensive goof-up by Brazil. The weather was hot. I was thankful that I was smart enough to get my tickets in a shady spot. It was still quite warm in the shade. The players looked quite spent by games end dealing with the heat and the altitude.




The starting line-ups






So I hiked a 13er in the morning and went to a soccer game in the afternoon. Any wonder why I like living here.

Cheers,

-MM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The guys (me, Jim, & Carter) watched part of the game Sunday, and wondered if you were there.

And I never did wonder why you wanted to live in Colorado.