Sunday, July 20, 2008

Moose Tracks

This weekend I went on a short backpacking trip. I met up with “Flat Feet” at Monarch Lake, which is just south of Rocky Mountain National Park on the western side of the divide. “Flat Feet” is finishing up his hike of the Continental Divide Trail. He attempted a thru-hike last year, but he got to Colorado too late in the year. Winter had arrived. So he had to skip ahead to Grants, New Mexico. This year he is finishing up the sections that he missed. “Flat Feet” is not your average hiker. He has thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail. Not a bad hiking resume if I do say so myself. I got to hike with “Flat Feet” south on the Continental Divide Trail from Monarch Lake for about 11.5 miles. We camped along Hamilton Creek. The next day I had to turn around and hike back to my car while “Flat Feet” kept hiking towards New Mexico. The hike was pretty easy. It was good for strengthening my knee as well helping “Flat Feet” acclimatize to the altitude. We only got to an elevation that was a little over 10,000 feet. “Flat Feet” has got some tough terrain ahead of him. It was a fun trip for me. It felt good to get the backpack on again. Here are some pictures.




Flat Feet along the CDT






Me along the CDT






Me and Flat Feet at our camp.







The makers of Moose Tracks

No comments: