Monday, October 13, 2008

Screaming Eagles

This past weekend was an extended weekend for myself. I took Thursday and Friday off from work and went to Washington, D.C. Thursday was basically a travel day. On Friday, I met Carter and my real brother at the Washington Zoo. We saw lions, tigers, and bears. And climbing orangutans too. After lunch, Carter and my brother went back to Maryland where they were staying, while I went to the National Museum of Natural History. The first exhibit I wandered into was the mammal’s exhibit. This wasn’t very exciting, I had already seen a bunch of mammals this morning, and they were alive. I got worried that this museum would not be any good, but I soon found fossils and other cool stuff. The museum was well worth the visit.





Teeth









Bones







After spending several hours at the Natural History Museum, I went wandering around the National Mall taking photos. I worked my way up to the Capitol and then turned around walked to the World War II Memorial, which is between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument.




Thick Traffic in front of the Capitol








Washington Monument







Lincoln Memorial from the World War II Memorial





Saturday started out by meeting up with several crazies from North Carolina at my hotel. We then went to World War II Memorial where we met up with Jim, Stacy, Carter, and Cara. We all took in a world wind tour of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial, and the F.D.R. Memorial.







Carter and Cara at the Lincoln Memorial







Korean War Veterans Memorial









Washington Monument and the White House from the Thomas Jefferson Memorial







Stacy and the kids went back to Maryland after all of that. The rest of us visited the outside of the Washington Monument and White House. We then went to the National Air and Space Museum and did a quick tour of some of the exhibits.




Me with the North Carolina Crazies





After some goofing off in the National Mall in front of the Capital, we worked our way to RFK Stadium. We were going to a tailgate party for that US National Team soccer game versus Cuba that evening. All you can eat and drink for $8. They even had good beer for back east too. The Screaming Eagles put on the tailgate party, which is the supporters group for DC United. The Rapids supporter's group needs to learn a thing or two from them. Here is a set of photos of the tailgate party by the Screaming Eagles. This photo and this photo in their set will have some interest for some.




American Outlaws







Next up was the game. Carter and Stacy rejoined us for the game. The U.S. took care of business for the most part. They won 6-1. Landon Donovan scored to the delight of Carter. Jozy Altidore, Freddy Adu, and José Torres got into the game to the delight of the U.S. Supporters. It was nice to see new blood get into the game. Best of all, the U.S. have qualified for the next round of qualification with two games to spare.




Game Time!






Sunday was spent traveling back to Colorado and then crashing on the couch watching Georgia football on tape and the Rapids in the evening. I was too tired to do anything else. Busy weekend and 6:30 A.M. flight can wear you out. I will put up some more photos on one of my bonus picture sites at a later date. I got a few good shots. I need to decide what I want to put up.

Cheers,

-MM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you were in Washington Nana & I played tourist in Petersburg, Va, and visited the Petersburg National Battlefield where the 10 month siege that bacicly ended the Civil War took place. We also toured Old Towne Petersburg and the Historic Blanford Church.

We drove home Sunday through the edge of the mountains near Lynchburg, but it was to early for any real fall color.

Stacy & Jim said...

I told your parents they ought to surprise you at your hotel on Saturday, but I guess it's a good idea they didn't since you weren't there:-)

Anonymous said...

I hear Virginia is for lovers. But perhaps the same can be said of Colorado. I do love the mountains, but some do prefer cats. What state is the cat state? I know it's not Maryland, that's for crabs.

-Bob Chancey

Anonymous said...

Is directed at me, Bob? No funny about cats. I did not laugh at you and disco craze.