Sunday, March 15, 2009

Return To Deer Mountain

Yesterday, I hiked to the top of Deer Mountain (10,013 Ft.) in Rocky Mountain National Park. I tried climbing this mountain last April, and I got to about a half mile from the top. Unfortunately the trail disappeared and the snow was too deep for someone without snowshoes. I vowed to come back, and yesterday was the day. There is not a lot of snow this year; however, I still lost the trail in the snow at about the same spot as last year. This time I had snowshoes with me. So I put them on and took a direct path to the top. It wasn't the easiest way, but it got me there. I probably could have done it without snowshoes. The snow is not even close to what it was last year. The top of Deer Mountain has a good view of Estes Park, Moraine Park, and Longs Peak. From the top I was able to find the actual trail and follow it back to where I lost it.




Longs Peak, Moraine Park, & Me.









Estes Park









Me on the summit of Deer Mountain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures. Especially liked the view of Estes Park since we were there last summer.