Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! I kept with the old tradition of being active on Thanksgiving Day. I drove up to Loveland Pass and went for a hike. I climbed Mt. Sniktau (13,234 Ft.) It is a short hike. It is a little less than 3.5 miles round trip. Perfect for a Thanksgiving hike. The weather was great. Denver had temperatures in the 60’s. Obviously, it was a bit colder in the mountains. It wasn’t bad considering the elevation. The wind was not a problem until I reached the ridgeline. I had to put on the extra clothing because of the wind. It was beautiful hike. I had climbed Mt. Sniktau before in June of 2007. It is a cool short hike that is completely above tree line. Just as I was leaving the summit, I saw a bighorn sheep. I think we saw each other at the same time. I managed to get a zoom picture before he got out of sight. Here are the pictures from hike.



The ridgeline. Mt. Sniktau is not visible.








Mt. Sniktau










Looking east from Mt. Sniktau. I-70 down below








Torreys Peak









The tunnel and Loveland Ski area









Me











Bighorn sheep











Strange snow formations.

5 comments:

Pops said...

Taking a Thanksgiving Day hike - good for you. Beautiful pic's. Looks like the sheep is heading down the mountain to play in the I-70 traffic. And I bet the wind did the snow sculptures.

We had T-Day dinner at Jim/Stacy's house. Stacy cooked a big turkey dinner. Nana did mashed potatoes and cup cakes. I played with the kids. It was a tough job but somebody had to do it.

Happy Thanksgiving...

Jim said...

So did you pack a turkey sandwich and eat it on the top???

Mighty Mike said...

I skipped the turkey sandwich. I figured it would be too cold and I don't like to eat at that altitude. So I went to Tommyknockers after the hike.

mark said...

Very nice. The hike was probably better on the knees than skiing. Happy Thanksgiving

Pops said...

UGA took it to Georgia Tech last night. You've got to be happy this morning. Go Dawgs.