Sunday, January 30, 2011

Twice If You’re Lucky

Two posts in one weekend. That hasn’t happened in a while. It was another nice day in Colorado, but that will change on Monday. With Sunday being nice and with me wanting to try something new again, I hiked to the top of Tanner Peak in the Wet Mountains. Tanner Peak has an elevation of around 9340 feet. I’ve seen three different elevations for it. I’ll go with the one in the middle. The bad thing about this hike is that ATV’s are allowed on the trail. I saw four ATV’s on my hike. They were noisy, smelly, and loud. Two of them just drove up to a scenic spot to shoot their guns in the National Forest and leave a mess. It surprises me that the Forest Service still allows ATV’s here; however, I did know that ATV’s were allowed before I went to the trailhead so the damage that was left is not a surprise. I heard that Tanner Peak was a scenic hike, and I was not disappointed there. On the way up, there were some great views of Pikes Peak and Cañon City. The top of the peak opened up to a grand view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. By the time I got to the top, clouds had moved in and it started getting cold. I did not spend too much time on top. I needed to head down. The hike was a little longer than I expected, and I wanted to get back before it got dark. I did. Here are the pictures.



The trail





Pikes Peak and Cañon City




On top of Tanner Peak with a view of the Sangre de Cristo Mtns.



Me and the southern view from Tanner Peak



Another view of Pikes Peak and Cañon City on the way down.

6 comments:

Pops said...

Nice pics. I like the one of Pike's Peak and Canon City.

Anonymous said...

I would have thought there would be more snow - chuck

Mighty Mike said...

The front range towns, foothills,& Wet Mountains haven't gotten much snow this winter. We had a pretty good artic blast the day after this post. Some of the coldest temps I have felt since I've been out here. For the most part, it has been pretty nice. The real high country is doing pretty good for snow. The ski resorts are quite happy.

Unknown said...

I am always looking for peaks to hike in wintertime, I will definitely check out Tanner Peak! Thanks!

Mighty Mike said...

FYI, there is not a whole lot of information on Tanner Peak. I estimate the that it was a 13 mile round-trip hike. There are two other ways up that I know of. Both are ATV trails as well, and they are longer.

Virginia said...

Impressive views of Pikes Peak! Loved your pics. mom