Sunday, March 24, 2013

Snowblind

The US beat Costa Rica 1-0 on Friday in the snowy spring wonderland of Colorado. It was a World Cup Qualifier, so the game must go on if possible. It started snowing a couple of hours before the start of the game. It wouldn’t stop until 24 hours later. My seats were out of the wind for the most part. I had a lot of layers, but I didn’t use them all. So I found the experience very fun. Pretty much all of the fans stood the whole game in what might be the best overall atmosphere for a game at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The game was sold out with an announced crowd of 19,374. There were some no-shows, but not many. As far as the play, it wasn’t that bad in the first half. As the snow got deeper, it was definitely affecting the game. To me, the play looked better than some of the games in the Caribbean when it rains and the pitch becomes a bog. There really wasn’t much in the way of slipping in the snow. It just seemed to slow the play down. I think everybody enjoyed the experience except Costa Rica. I’m alright with that! With the US having to play in the horrible Ricardo Saprissa Stadium in Costa Rica in years past, I find Costa Rica’s whining about playing conditions a bit futile. Anyway, here are the pictures from the game.
Me
Me and some of my US/Rapids friends
Moments before kickoff
The ground crew at work before the players got off the field at halftime.
Marcelo Balboa - US Soccer Hall of Famer. I patted him on the back as he walked by me.
My friends keeping refreshed with snow cooled beers.

Looking towards American Outlaws section
Omar Gonzalez

US players warming up in front of me
The game goes on
Game Over
One last look at the stadium
Bonus photo I found on the Internet.  I'm located in the bottom right half, 2nd row.  I'm not seen though.  I'm hidden by one of my friends.

2 comments:

Pops said...

That's one of those games where you can honestly say, "I was there." Six months from now there will be 50,000 people saying, "I was there."

Virginia said...

I posted some of your photos on Facebook since there had been a conversation earlier about the game.
Just now figured out how to do it. Glad you had fun. MOM