Saturday, November 25, 2017

Castles Made of Sand

The weather was beautiful in Colorado on Thanksgiving. So I decided to make the long drive to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve where I did my Thanksgiving hike on the dunes. There were quite a few other people at the Dunes as well. I was able to avoid most of the people by taking a more challenging route up the sand dunes. I climbed High Dune first. Although there were plenty of footprints on top, I had the top of High Dune to myself.
San Juan Mountains in the distance
Approaching High Dune.  Mt Herard on the left
Me on top High Dune
Me looking at Star Dune from High Dune
From the top of High Dune, I could see a couple of people on top of Star Dune. I had hiked to the top of Star Dune once before, but I had not done High Dune and Star Dune in the same day before. The weather was nice. It was not too windy, cold, or hot. I also felt good, and I had plenty of time. So I decided to head in that direction and see what happens. After an enjoyable hike across the dunes, I made it to the top of Star Dune and had lunch.
Looking back at High Dune from the top of Star Dune
Looking south from the top of Star Dune
Looking west across the San Luis Valley
Me on top of Star Dune
Another shot of me on top of Star Dune
After lunch, I worked my way off the dunes by heading towards Medano Creek. The creek bed was dry when I got to it. I followed the creek bed upstream towards the day use area where I was parked. I came across a herd of elk. I watched the bull shepherd the herd around me. It was beautiful site.
Looking back at Star Dune with some 14ers barely visible
A herd of elk in the creek bed for Medano Creek
The elk being shepherded around me
Elk and Mt. Herard
Elk and the Dunes
The elk working their way back to the creek bed
Elk Tracks
After watching the elk, I found the current place where Medano Creek disappears into the sand. After another mile of hiking, I made it back to my car. I was a bit tired from the walking in the sand for four plus hours, but it was a good hike.
The flow terminus for Medano Creek
Medano Creek, Mt. Herard, and the Dunes

2 comments:

Pops said...

WOW! Looks like you had a difficult T-Giving Day. Sand hiking that far & that long has got to be tough. But I'm sure enjoy it you did... Keep on Hiking.

Virginia said...

Loved your pictures. And how exciting that you got to see all those elk. Glad you had such a great Thanksgiving hike.

Love, Mom