Thursday, November 22, 2018

Island in the Sky

Since it is Thanksgiving Day, I figured I would do a post of my annual Thanksgiving hike on the day that it happened. I will get back to reminiscing about my China trip from August soon. For my Thanksgiving hike, I went to Oil Well Flats north of CaƱon City. Oil Well Flats is a popular mountain biking area. With it being Thanksgiving Day, I figured there would not be crowded. I was right. I only saw a group of three on the trail. The weather was cool but comfortable. I hiked to the Island in the Sky section of Oil Well Flats. I had heard good things about it, and it did not disappoint. It had nice cliffs and great views. Without further ado, here are the pictures.
Fire Canyon
Climbing out of Fire Canyon on the Island in the Sky Trail
Snow side of the mountain
Interesting rock
Another interesting rock. (This is just one rock)
The cliffs of the Island of the Sky Trail
Looking towards Tanner Peak, Fremont Peak, & the Sangre de Cristo Mountains
Zoom view of Tanner Peak, Fremont Peak, & the Sangre de Cristo Mountains
Garden Park
Me
Me again
Looking south at Tanner Peak
Looking south at the Wet Mountains
Looking west towards the start or end of the Great Plains
Looking back at the cliffs of the Island in the Sky Trail

2 comments:

Pops said...

Very interesting scenery. Not Much shade. A little snow in one place so must have been been pleasant hiking weather. Keep on hiking.

Virginia said...

This looks like a great hike. How long was it? Mom