Friday, November 02, 2018

The Great Wall of China

I made another trip to China this past August. I’m finally getting around to posting some pictures. The original plan was to go back to Guangzhou, but there was a change of plans about a week before the trip. I ended up going to Beijing. So with the change of plans, I had the opportunity to see the Great Wall of China. We went to the Great Wall at Mutianyu. It is about 43 miles northeast of the center of Beijing. It was first built in the 6th century and was rebuilt in 1569. We stayed one night near the Wall. It was closed the day we arrived due to weather. Fortunately, it was open the next morning. We got an early start to beat the crowds. We took a chairlift to the base of the Wall. The weather was cloudy. It was also very hot and humid. Walking on the Wall was really difficult for me. Apparently, my shoes do not work well on surfaces soaked from the humidity. I had to stay close to the sides so that I did not slip and fall. I made it though. Here are some pictures.
A wall on the road up the Great Wall
Chairlift to the Wall.
The Wall breaking through the clouds
The Wall
Me on the Wall
The Wall and clouds
Cannon
Inside one of the towers
Me in front of a tower
The slippery and uneven top of the Wall
A Tower
Another Tower
Carefully Slip

3 comments:

Stacy & Jim said...

So were you carefully slipping :-D

Pops said...

Interesting. I had no idea the wall would be slippery. Be careful on that wall!

Virginia said...

Beautiful photos. Did Linghua have problems walking on the wall? Mom