Sunday, August 26, 2007

Spiceless

This past week I finalized where I am moving to. For those who know my place, I will still be in the same area, but I will be on the other side of Kipling. The place is a little smaller, but I will have a garage that I can use as storage. It looks like it will be a good place. On Wednesday I went into Denver for my first concert since I have moved here. I saw Crowded House at the Fillmore. Great show!!! Good singing by the audience as well. Neil Finn has to be one of the most underrated artists around. He is amazing in all of his career incarnations.

On Sunday morning, my friends Mark and Kathy managed to get away from their house projects and go into the high foothills with me. I took them to Chief Mountain, which is off of the Squaw Pass Rd. that leads to Mt. Evans. According to the signs, the hike is a little over 2 miles up. It was a pretty easy hike. Not steep at all. Even with the top at 11,709 feet, it seemed easier than Blood Mountain back in Georgia. The view from the leaveitrite rock on top of Chief Mountain was quite rewarding. We could see Longs Peak, the Indian Peaks, Grays Peak, Torreys Peak, and Mt. Evans.
Kathy and Mark on their way up Chief Mountain.








Kathy, Mark, and myself on top of Chief Mountain. Mt. Evans is behind us.





Sunday afternoon, I went to see the Colorado Rapids beat the LA Galaxy 3-0. This was supposed to be David Beckham’s big debut in Colorado. Not surprisingly, he didn’t even make the trip. Apparently, it is not a good idea to play a full 90 minutes in England on Wednesday and then fly back to LA and play a full 90 minutes on Thursday. The body doesn’t react well. Who would have thought that… Landon Donovan and several other starters didn’t make the trip as well. It looks like LA is throwing in the towel before the game even started. Which doesn’t bother me, I was there to see the Rapids win. The Beckham part would have been an interesting sideshow. It seemed the majority of the crowd felt that way too. It was 90% capacity for a sold out stadium. The majority of the fans that showed were pro-Rapid fans. While they may have been disappointed he wasn’t there, they appeared to be there to root against him. They did give the Beckham fans something. They played Spice Girls music at halftime. The local news sent the anti-soccer reporter that focused on the 10% that didn’t show. Alas, they also forgot to report that the Rapids won 3-0. You would think they would report that the hometown team won. The Rapids didn’t look like they had a shot at the playoffs a couple of weeks ago. They have won 3 in a row and are now in a tie for that last playoff spot with the Columbus Crew who happens to be the Rapids next opponent.












Former US National team players Tony Sanneh (Rapids) and Cobi Jones (Galaxy). Cobi was the biggest name that LA brought.



The starters on their way out. LA would have better off if they let the little Beckham's play.



One of the anti-Beckham signs at the game.














Go Rapids,

-M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see why it's a "leaveitrite" rock on top of Chief Mountain.