Monday, September 03, 2007

Why Should The Fire Die?

This past Saturday I went down to Pagosa Springs to see Nickel Creek on their Farwell (For Now) Tour. Nickel Creek is calling quits for now after the tour. Apparently they have lost the fire to produce new music together. They definitely have not lost it in the live arena. When looking at their tour schedule, I saw that they were only doing the festival circuit in Colorado. So naturally I chose to go to the show that was furthest away. Actually, it worked out best schedule wise for me. I don’t mind the drive; the scenery is too good. On a side note, there are a couple of locations along the way that were used in National Lampoon’s Vacation. The Four Corners Folk Festival was an interesting mix of old timers, hippies, and a combination of both. The show was great. It is too bad that Nickel Creek is going on an indefinite hiatus.

On Sunday, I went home, but I took a different way back. I went through Creede and Lake City. I had not been that way before and wanted to see what was there. Naturally, it was very scenic. However, it was different from the Colorado that I have seen so far. The mountains in this part of the San Juan’s seem to roll a little more. The Rio Grande River has carved a beautiful valley through the mountains. Unfortunately, my pictures don’t even come close to capturing what I saw. Here are some pictures anyway.

Looking toward the Rio Grande Pyramid (13,821 Ft.) and Brown Lakes on South Clear Creek.



Me at North Clear Creek Falls.










Lake Fork Gunnison River on Hwy. 149 north of Lake City.






While I didn’t rush home on Sunday, I did have an interest in getting home. College Football has started, and I was in the dark about the Georgia game on Saturday. I had taped it and was ready to watch it as soon as I got home. The Dawgs did great! There were a lot of questions about their defense going into the season, and they held Oklahoma State’s self proclaimed “most explosive offense in the world” to 14 points. We’ll see how the Dawgs do against the “Evil Genius” next week. After the Bulldog game, it was time to watch the soccer. I finished watching the Fulham game that I had taped Saturday morning. U.S. Nat. Team player Clint Dempsey had a goal and 2 assists has Fulham salvaged a tie. I then watched a Colorado Rapids game that I taped on Sunday. They got a draw on the road to keep pace for that final playoff spot. I had a nice fill of sports and scenery that day.

Monday was not as much fun. The good news was that I had the day off. The bad news was that I used it to start packing for my move and to try and solve some computer problems I’m having. Hey Pops, sorry about your Noles. Look on the bright side. At least it wasn’t against Appalachian State. The Noles did show signs of life in the second half. I didn’t think that was possible after that first half.

Until next time (which will be different),

-M

No comments: