Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eight is Enough

I did a short hike on Saturday. I went to Devils Head in the Rampart Range. It is not too far from Denver and is a popular family hike. The only negative is that the Forest Service road that leads to trailhead is paralleled by a dirt bike and 4-wheeler trails. Lots of people were out enjoying the peace and quiet of their recreational vehicles. I guess four dollar a gallon gas is not enough to deter that activity. Fortunately the trailhead was off the main drag enough so that I didn’t have to eat trail bike dust or hear them as I hiked. The hike was worth the drive on Forest Service road. There are several overlooks and cool rocks. There is a fire tower on top that is still manned. The elevation at the fire tower is 9,748 feet. The view was fantastic. I could see Pikes Peak, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Mt. Evans, Mt. Bierstadt, Torreys Peak, Grays Peak, Longs Peak, and downtown Denver just to name a few of the places I could see from the top.



A view on the way up Devils Head











The Flag on top of Devils Head











Pikes Peak from the top of Devils Head








The Fire Tower Lookout and Pikes Peak







Me in front of Devils Head.




Enjoying the view on the way down.





World Cup Qualification has started for the U.S. The U.S. played Barbados on Sunday and beat them 8-0. It was not much of a game. At times it looked liked the U.S. didn’t know what to do with all the time they had with the ball. As expected, it was not like their three brutal warm-up games. They get to play Barbados again next weekend at Barbados. It is a home and away total goals series. With an eight-goal lead, I think it is safe to say that they got this series won.

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers and future fathers out there!

-MM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pics, been a few weeks since looking at your site. I have a 110 pound 2-year old! I guess I'm his pop!
-----dave