Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sad

On Saturday, I gave my knee a good test. The jury is still out on how well it did. I was working on building up some distance. I went to Rogers Pass Lake and Heart Lake in the James Peak Wilderness. The hike is not suppose to be too difficult. The elevation gain is 2000 feet spread out over 4 miles. However, the hike became more difficult than I anticipated. The snow levels are still pretty high just below tree line. That made for some rough hiking. I probably added a mile to the hike because the trail disappeared. I had to get above tree line to find where the lakes were. Adding to the fun, I would occasionally hit pockets in the snow where my leg would sink up to my hip. I eventually made it to the lakes. The lakes were beautiful, but at Rogers Pass Lake, I saw a tragedy in the animal kingdom. An elk had fallen through the ice and could not get out. Its fate did not look good. Nature's way. Here are some pictures.








The snow covered banks of South Boulder Creek












The elk in Rogers Pass Lake









Rogers Pass Lake








Looking down on Rogers Pass Lake. The elk is in the center of the lake.







Heart Lake







There was sad news for the Bulldog Nation this weekend. University of Georgia's mascot, Uga VI, died of congestive heart failure on Friday. Uga VI was Georgia's winningest mascot in school history. Uga VI was a year old when he took over for his dad, Uga V, in 1999. The registered name for Uga VI is "Uga V's Whatchagot Loran." The name is a nod to the radio broadcasts for UGA football.


Uga VI at the 2008 G-Day game this past spring.



Uga VI, 1999-2008
Record: 87-27
"Uga V's Whatchagot Loran"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you don't wind up like that elk. See you soon.