Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Only Time Will Tell

The economy hasn’t been kind to me this year, but I decided to give myself a musical treat on Sunday despite my troubles. I went to the Yes/Asia show at the Paramount Theatre for some old guy rock. Asia had all of its original members. Even John Wetton who had heart surgery in 2007. Asia opened the show. Great set! Drummer, Carl Palmer, was mesmerizing. He is the best drummer that I have seen in person. The biggest surprise song of their set was their cover of “Video Killed the Radio Star”. Keyboardist, Geoff Downes, was one of The Buggles. Yes followed Asia, and Steve Howe played guitar for both groups. Not bad for a 62 year old. Yes has constantly changed band members during their 40 years as a band. They are currently performing with a singer that they found on YouTube. While his voice is pretty close to Jon Anderson (original lead singer), there is difference. He is not bad though. The benefit to having the new singer is that he will sing songs that Jon Anderson wouldn’t. I have seen Yes quite a few times over the years, so it was fun to hear songs that I haven’t heard live before. The other major change in the Yes line-up was with the keyboardist. Rick Wakeman, who is probably the fan’s favorite keyboardist for Yes (there have been a few), retired from touring. So his son, Oliver, has taken over as the latest keyboardist for Yes. Anyway, it was a fun show. I am glad I went.

As for today’s adventure, I hiked to Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake. The trailhead is accessed via the Guanella Pass Road. I got above 12,000 feet when I crossed the divide that separates the lakes. It was a beautiful hike. Lots of wildflowers. Round trip for the hike was about 6 miles. My knee bothered me a little bit on the way back. The good news is that my knee feels good now that I am home. Here are some pictures of the hike.




Looking towards the lakes and Argentine Peak







Flowers and Silver Dollar Lake








Murray Lake and Argentine Peak










Silver Dollar Lake







Naylor Lake on the left and Silver Dollar Lake on the right. Looking towards Mt. Evans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pops said...

Good to see you're able to hike again. Liked the pics. If the altitude wasn't so high I'd like to go there.

Running with Joshua said...

Wow! I didn't think the guys in ASIA were even talking to one another let alone back together in their original line up. I'll have to check out their new record. I saw them on their first tour about twenty gulp! seven years ago. Yikes! how is that possible. I checked to see if they are playing in my neck of the woods and lo and behold next week they have like 5 shows all within an hours drive. Here's a deal for you Mike. Get yourself to Pennsylvania and I'll buy you a ticket to one of those shows! um you have to pay for your own beer though.