Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Hole

I hiked Hells Hole Trail today. It is in the Mount Evans Wilderness. I am not quite sure what Hells Hole is. The trail ends at a boggy pond. I read that the trail ends at Hells Hole and that it is an expansive cirque. From what I saw, I wouldn't call it hellish. However, the next cirque over looks quite impressive and more deserving of the name Hells Hole, but the trail does not go there. The way it is labeled on the map suggests that the other cirque is Hells Hole, but Hells Hole Trail doesn't go there. Anyway, here are some pictures from my hike.


Is this Hells Hole or the cirque beyond the first ridge?








Looking north from a possible Hells Hole









Looking south into the cirque


















This might actually be Hells Hole. It is an impressive cirque. The sun was always at a bad angle to get a good picture of it. The Hells Hole Trail does not go to it though.

2 comments:

Pops said...

I like the scenery, but doubt I could hike that trail. Looks like you were above tree line most of the time. To hike for me.

Cara said...

Grampa & me are having fun talking on the walkie talkies.