Sunday, May 09, 2010

I Must Be In The Front Row

I did two hikes this weekend. On Saturday, I hiked the Spruce Mountain Open Space Trail. It is in Douglas County along the Palmer Divide. The trail is pretty easy. It follows along the top of a small cliff that has some nice views of Pikes Peak.



Looking towards Pikes Peak from the Greenland Overlook







View of Eagle Mtn.








Mushroom rock





Flowers are trying to come out despite it still feeling like winter on the Palmer Divide.



On Sunday, I hiked to the top of Mt. Morrison, which is the mountain above Red Rocks. It is a mountain that I have been thinking about hiking for a while. After climbing it, I wish I had done it sooner. The trailhead is less than 10 minutes from my Lakewood estates. There are several routes up Mt. Morrison. I used the trailhead near entrance 4 of Red Rocks. The trail is not well known. None of the trails are marked or have signs at their trailheads. Which is kind of cool, it keeps the number of people hiking it down. I saw several people on the trail, but it was not bad for the weekend and for being so close to Denver. The open space parks nearby are always overwhelmed on the weekend. The hike up was steep. It wasn’t the cakewalk that I had the day before. The view up top makes it worth the effort, and the weather was extremely nice.



A cactus flower near the top of Mt. Morrison




Looking towards Mt. Evans from the top of Mt. Morrison





Dinosaur Ridge and Green Mtn down below








Red Rocks from the Uecker seats.

4 comments:

pops said...

T-shirt, shorts, and great views. Looks like you had a good weekend.

Jim said...

Can you camp on top and maybe listen to a concert?

Mighty Mike said...

Camping is not allowed up there. The mountain would be abused if it was.

jack69 said...

Just stopped by. I clicked 'next blog' on my blog and there you are. We are would be hikers. too old to hike seriously any more. WE hiked 1850 miles of the AT but the White mountains killed us. I know you guys laugh at the Eastern mountains, but at 70 they are tough.
Keep on hiking, we were known as the 'overland hermits' on the trail.