Monday, May 31, 2010

Steam Engine

I hope everyone had a wonderful three-day weekend. I enjoyed a couple of soccer games on Saturday. I did some long neglected chores on Sunday. I did my hike on Monday. I hiked up the Newlin Creek Trail in the Wet Mountains. The trail is about 2.7 miles long. It goes up a canyon to the site of an old sawmill that was run off of a steam engine. The official trail ended at the historic site; however, there was a trail that kept going. So naturally I followed it. The feral trail climbed out of the canyon. The trail eventually disappeared, but a route had been marked by rock cairns. This led me to a high point where I had views of the surrounding valleys, canyons, and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.




Looking up








The Herrick Sawmill








A view from the top








Zoom view of the Sangre de Cristo Mtns.






Looking down on The City.

2 comments:

Pops said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend. We had just the opposite. Mostly just sitting around talking, eating, and drinking a little wine. I saw Flatfoot. He said he's looking forward to connecting with you this summer. Paul's going to have a knee replacement in the next few weeks. Everybody says hi.

Virginia said...

Was your hike near your current home or your previous one?

I enjoy seeing what you're seeing and doing. Please keep it up.

Mom