Sunday, October 17, 2010

Solitude

The Rapids qualified for the playoffs on Saturday!!! They still have a game to spare. The Rapids have missed out on the playoffs the past 3 years in heartbreaking fashion. It is a huge relief that they didn’t wait till the last game again. So I celebrated on Sunday by going hiking. I did a hike in the Sangre De Cristo Mountains near Westcliffe. I hiked up to the Dry Lakes. I parked at the Horn Creek Trailhead. I followed the Rainbow Trail to the Dry Creek Trail. The Rainbow Trail is open to ATV’s, so it is quite wide. The Dry Creek Trail pretty much just goes straight up the mountain. It is a good haul up to the Dry Lakes. Fortunately the trail is only 3.5 miles long. The Dry Creek Trail is quite wide as well. I bet it was open to ATV’s at one time. It is open to hikers and horses only now. I made it to the Lakes and back to my car without seeing a single person. I’m not sure if I have ever done that in Colorado. I know I’ve had some mountain tops to myself, but I would still see people on other parts of the trail. I was quite surprised not see anyone. The road to the trailhead was paved except for the last quarter of a mile. Anyway here are some pictures.



Getting closer to the Lakes





Me at the Dry Lakes







Lake





Looking back at the Wet Mountains





View from my lunch spot





The Fall color still hanging around on the road out.

3 comments:

Pops said...

The dry lakes don't look that dry.

Unknown said...

I love the solitude; thats my fav way to hike! I just did Gibson Creek near Westcliffe; its a beautiful area down there and still lots of fall color too! I'll have to check out the dry lakes next time.

Virginia said...

Hi. Have to agree with Pops. Maybe some mapmaker somewhere reversed the names and it should be the WET Lakes and the DRY Mountains.

Love, Mom