Monday, October 11, 2010

Is this Heaven? No…it’s Iowa

Last week, I spent Sunday through Thursday in Dubuque, Iowa. I was there for classes and a conference. Dubuque is right on the Mississippi River in northeast Iowa near the border of Illinois and Wisconsin. Dubuque is quite scenic. I got chance to see town during my off hours. One of things I did was take a ride on the 4th Street Elevator. The Fenelon Place Elevator Company dates back to the 1800’s. Elevator is basically a cable car railway. It is described as the world’s shortest and steepest scenic railway.


The Mississippi River from the top of the bluffs above Dubuque







Top of the Elevator




The Elevator Car







The track










I also went out to the Field of Dreams. The movie site was only a 30 minute drive from Dubuque. It is a cool place to visit. It doesn’t cost a thing, although I did make a nice donation. People do come from all over to see this place. Some people from Australia and England were leaving as we got there. I’m not sure what they know about baseball. Anyway the place was pretty cool. It looked just like the movie with the exception of the power line going through the middle of the field.




Field of Dreams





I wish I had done the wave while I was here.





The view from foul territory in left field





The view from the corn






Rounding 1st Base





Batting practice on the field






If you build it, he will come.






The hotel I stayed at in Dubuque overlooked the Mississippi River. I did short walks along the river every day I was there.






Shot Tower



Prayer Booth. I prayed for Dubuque Star Brewery to reopen.





The view of the Mississippi River from my hotel room




The Mississippi River was a little bit high





I left Iowa on Thursday; however, the adventure continued in Chicago. Look for an update on the Chicago portion of my trip later this week.

4 comments:

Pops said...

Looks like you had some fun mixed in with the business in Iowa. I'd like to visit the Field of Dreams sometime.

Virginia said...

"Pops" and I may have to plan our next western trip to take us through Dubuque. Your pictures would make a good travel brochure for the area.
Love, Mom.

gg said...

Wow. It does look just like the movie. Who lives in the house? Did Shoeless Joe show up? Did he show up and other people could see him but you couldn't?

Mighty Mike said...

The house is for sale. It only cost about 4.5 million. The ghosts come with the field.