Tuesday, August 16, 2011

...In That Quiet Earth

I went for another hike last Saturday in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I climbed Cottonwood Peak (13,588 ft.) I used the Garner Creek & Hot Spring Canyon Trailhead located in the northern half of the San Luis Valley. The trailhead is below 9,000 feet so it was a good haul. I took the Hot Springs Canyon Trail up. It was a long steady climb. Above treeline, there were lots of pikas keeping me company. The views were great. It was a bit hazy, but I managed to filter out some of the haze in my pictures. There was a register at the top. I was the first person to sign it in a month. After enjoying the view, I worked my way down to opposite side of the peak in order to make this hike a loop trail. The going was rough at first due to lots of loose rocks, but I made it over to the established trail. I followed the Garner Creek Trail back to my car. It was full day of hiking, and I didn’t see a soul. I was the only one to sign the register at the trailhead for that day. I know that this isn’t the Front Range, but I still would have thought others would have hiked at least part of one of these trails on a Saturday. Oh well, I definitely not complaining!


Cottonwood Peak in sight after a false summit




Looking back





Pikes Peak on the horizon




Looking at the northern end of the San Luis Valley




Me on top Cottonwood Peak





Crestone Group on the horizon







Silver Lake






Flowers





Looking back at Cottonwood Peak and lots of rocks




The Garner Creek Trail goes thru the canyon all the way to the valley

1 comment:

Pops said...

You've been doing some serious hiking lately. Way to go & keep on hiking.