Friday, August 05, 2016

Dreamboat Annie

Day 2 of my section hike along the Colorado Trail started with the ascent of Lake Ann Pass. It was a hike of about 2.1 miles to the top of Lake Ann Pass (12,588 ft.) from my campsite. The hike to the Pass was beautiful. Lots wildflowers and of course great above tree line views.
Taylor Park Reservoir in the early morning light
Looking back on the trail
The Trail towards Lake Ann Pass
Wildflowers
Columbine along the trail
Alpine Sunflowers at the top of Lake Ann Pass
Me at the top Lake Ann Pass
La Plata Peak, Huron Peak, and Lake Ann from the Pass
View from Lake Ann Pass
The hike down from the pass was just as beautiful. It had alpine lakes, wildflowers, and lots of pikas.
Huron Peak and Lake Ann on the way down from the Pass
The Pika on a rock picture
Lake Ann
Paintbrush and Lake Ann
I saw a lot of backpackers on this section of trail. There were way more women than men. 7 of the first 8 backpackers I saw on the day were women. The majority of the destinations were to Durango. Clouds and a light rain were an issue in the late morning and early afternoon. No lightning problems though. The final part of my day was to start the climb up Hope Pass. The trail up Hope Pass was obviously old because it seemed to go straight up in some places. It was a steep one. I found a spot to camp near tree line. I prefer to go over the high passes when the weather is clear. One reason is to enjoy the view when the weather is clear in the morning. The other reason is to lessen the chance of getting caught above tree line when there is lightning. Anyway, I was tired after 14 miles of hiking in the high country and was asleep as soon as it got dark.
The Three Apostles
The view near my campsite

4 comments:

Pops said...

You got some good pics in this bunch too. WOW!

Virginia said...

Great pictures! I especially liked #10 & 13. The flowers in #4 are sky pilots. Also, I couldn't find the pika. KOH (Keep On Hiking), Mom

Mighty Mike said...

The Pika is on the rock.

Virginia said...

Ha! Ha!