Monday, August 08, 2016

Hope

This post is day 3 of my section on the Colorado Trail. July 27th started out 1 mile below Hope Pass. I had camped at tree line so I had all kinds of incredible views to start the day. I made it to the top of Hope Pass (12,548 ft.) by 7:30 AM. I had the Pass to myself. Due to the wind, I didn’t stay too long up there. I did have some great views of several 14ers that I have done in my past. (Mt. Oxford, Mt. Belford, Missouri Mountain, Huron Peak, & Mt. Elbert.) There may have been a few more in the distance, but they were harder to identify.
The trail to Hope Pass
Hope Pass
Mt. Elbert & Twin Lakes from Hope Pass
Mt. Oxford, Mt. Harvard, Mt. Belford, & Missouri Mountain
Huron Peak
After Hope Pass, I had a long downhill to get to the shores of Twin Lakes. I passed lots of hikers, pikas, and cabin ruins. I met a family of five thru-hiking the Colorado Trail. They planned to do it in 40 something days. I saw them at the base of their climb up Hope Pass. The parents had done the Trail 20 years earlier and called the pass Hopeless Pass. It is a brutal climb.
Small Lake below Hope Pass on the north side
Trail heading towards Twin Lakes
Run Pika Run
Mt. Hope
Flowers
Dangerous Privy
I arrived on the shores of Twin Lakes a little after 10 AM. I was way ahead of schedule. I had planned to stay out another night, but I figured I could be at my pick-up point by 3 PM on this day. So rather than hang out at a campsite by myself for most of the afternoon, I decided to give the parents a call to pick me up a day early. The rest of the day was hot. There were no afternoon showers or clouds. I made it to the pick point on time. We then drove to my house for a few days off.
Mt. Elbert and One of the Twin Lakes
Interlaken Resort Historic Site.  (On the southern shores of Twin Lakes)
Looking back on Twin Lakes. (Eastern end)
Clear Creek Reservoir. (End of this hike)

2 comments:

Pops said...

WOW! Looks like you had a good hike.

Virginia said...

The blue flowers are delphinium, or larkspur. The flower has a distinctive spur on one end so larkspur might be the easier name to remember. I did see the pika this time.