Monday, August 22, 2016

The Other Side Of The Mountain

On August 2nd, I continued my hike on the Colorado Trail. I did an overnight hike. I started at Clear Creek Road which is where I had finished my hike from the previous week in the “Hope” post. I headed south on the trail and was greeted with a long uphill hike to start the day off. I went from 8,937 feet to 11,653 feet in the first 4.8 miles. It wasn’t steep; it was just all up. This portion of the Colorado Trail doesn’t cross any major passes or peaks. It does cross several ridges that lead to 14ers. The 4.8 mile mark was the first ridge of the day that I crossed where the ridge did that. This ridge led to Mt. Oxford. I quickly descended this ridge only to climb another ridge. This ridge led to Mt. Harvard.
Cliffs on the ridge that I had climbed in the morning.  (Trail doesn't go by cliffs)
Ridge that leads to Mt. Harvard
Mt. Oxford
At the 9 mile mark on the day, I reached my highest elevation of the day at 11,845 feet. The rest of the day had more downhill than uphill. However, I was still crossing ridges as I hike around Mt. Columbia. After 15.7 miles, I called it a day. It was still early, but I didn’t feel like over doing it.
Another ridge that leads to Mt. Harvard
Buffalo Peaks
Fireweed
Buena Vista
One of the Harvard Lakes
The next day started out easy. I was able to make the first 3 miles in an hour. I dropped down to North Cottonwood Creek at an elevation of 9,430 feet. From there, everything changed. I had a steep uphill climb to gain a saddle on a ridge that leads to Mt. Yale. My hiking pace slowed down big time. The saddle on the ridge was at an elevation of 11,889 feet. An alternate route for climbing Mt. Yale starts at the saddle. I did the standard route on the other side of Mt. Yale several years ago. It is a beautiful mountain. As for this hike, it was all downhill from there. I met my dad at the parking lot at Avalanche Trailhead a couple of minutes early.
Mt. Princeton on the left.  A shoulder of Mt. Yale on the right.
Buena Vista on the left.  Salida on the right/center.
Looking towards at the climb to the ridge that leads to Mt. Yale
Smoke from the Hayden Pass Fire
A meadow and Mt. Yale
Mt. Yale from a saddle at treeline on the east ridge of Mt. Yale
Rainbow Lake

2 comments:

Pops said...

Great pic's Mike. Keep on hiking!

Virginia said...

Great pic of Buffalo Peaks and you'd spent the night before the hike at Buffalo Peaks B & B. KOH, Mom