Sunday, March 23, 2008

Green

My Bulldogs didn’t last long in the NCAA Basketball Tournament. They played well though. More importantly, they ticked off hard-core basketball fans of bubble teams who don’t understand that if you are a bubble team you really don’t deserve to be playing for a national championship either. Teams have to be good in the regular season or their conference tournament to get to the Big Dance. A bubble team is neither. There are enough pretenders in the 64 team field. (65 if you count the play-in game that nobody can name who actually played in it.) I laugh at the suggestion that the tournament should be increased to 128 teams so bubble teams don’t get left out. The regular season is weak enough as it is.

In soccer news, the US Men’s U-23 team qualified for this summer’s Olympics after missing out in 2004. I can’t say they looked all that good during the qualification tournament. Freddy Adu was they only player who was really impressive. They get to take three over-aged players to the Olympics. It will be interesting to see who goes.

As for my hiking adventures this weekend, I climbed Green Mountain on Sunday morning. There are a lot of mountains that are called Green Mountain in Colorado. I went to the one in Lakewood. Its trailhead is about 10 minutes from my place. The park is well used. There are a lot of unwanted trails. The hike was scenic nevertheless. Great views of the foothills and Denver along with Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans, & Longs Peak.




A tree along the Green Mtn. Trail.

View from the top of Green Mtn. Mt. Morrison & Red Rocks are behind me.

View of Dinosaur Ridge, the foothills, & Mt. Evans from the top of Green Mtn.



As always, enjoy half price chocolate week responsibly.
-MM

4 comments:

mark said...

Touche, well played hand, spoken like a truly experienced bubble man. Some of us don't have that much experience with the bubble (the last couple years have been a learning experience) so it is appreciated when one points out the finer elements of how one's bubble may burst.

Anonymous said...

1/2 price chocolate week doesn't have any meaning when you haven't eaten any candy since 2007, or fries since 2006.

Green Mountain looks like a much better hike than my mall walks.

Anonymous said...

I'm still working my way through a basket of peanut butter eggs, creme eggs, and chocolate rabbits the Easter bunny left for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

"Take me out to the ball game.. take me out to the da, da, da, da. Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack.. I don't care, blah, blah, blah, blah."

The baseball season starts tonight and if all goes well, I'll be performing between innings of the Rockies games this year!

My act can be summed up best this way: I balance objects on myself, sing, dance, mimic, and generally entertain!

The full performance takes three hours, but I can break this down into 60 three minute acts or two 90 minute acts.

I can lift a woman up to 100 lbs by using only my teeth. Also skate, twirl, balance, tumble, stop and start, run in different directions, stretch, shout, flex, call out names, and lift a man from the audience and move in a circle with him. People love me!

I've performed to sold out audiences in Canada, Peru, and throughout Europe and the Bahamas. People come from all over to see me. I'm eager to strut my stuff for baseball fans this year!

I hum, bark, hop on one leg and also whistle very loudly.

See you at the ballpark.. Go Rockies!

Bob Chancey