Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Kick In The Grass

I've been watching a lot of soccer lately. So this going to be a soccer filled post. The US beat Poland 3-0 in Poland on Wednesday. Great result! The only real negative is that all the goals came from set pieces. They need to learn to score during the run of play. Not sure about the new uniforms for the US either. They are a solid dark gray. I thought the colors for the USA were red, white & blue.

On Saturday, I watched a couple of English Premier League games on TV in the morning. It doesn't look like Fulham will be able to get out of the relegation zone. They can't even beat the worst team in the league. Not good for the five Americans on that team.

Saturday marked to start of the Major League Soccer season. I went to the opening game for the Colorado Rapids in the evening. The LA Galaxy were in town, and David Beckham showed up this time. So it was a record crowd. While there were quite a few Beckham jerseys in the crowd, I'm proud to say that the majority of the fans were rooting for the Rapids. Beckham seemed to be just a sideshow for most. You wouldn't have known that from the local sports coverage, it was all about Beckham. There wasn't a whole lot on the news about how the Colorado fans went home real happy. The Rapids won 4-0. Hopefully there will be more of this come, but I have a feeling that the score line was because LA is just not that good.


The Opening Day entrance for the game ball.



Here is a pregame token shot of all the fuss. Bonus: Landon Donovan is also in the picture. (Orange Shoes)

I woke up to a light dusting of snow on Sunday morning. No big deal. The natives were in short sleeve shirts by the afternoon. I went to Mt. Falcon Open Space Park late in the afternoon. It has become my stand-by park for when I want to get a hike in, but don't want to go far. I had a nice hike. I didn't really see anybody on the trails. It was quite peaceful.

No comments: