Sunday, August 17, 2008

Epilogue

I have finally gotten around to posting the fifth and final post of a two-week vacation I took with my family. I blogged my self-out with the four previous posts. The Longs Peak hike was definitely the climax of the vacation for me. A couple of people have wanted to know if I would hike Longs Peak again. Immediately after the hike my answer would probably have been no. But now after reflection, I would say it is possible. It would have to be a situation where somebody asked me to go up with them. I don't see myself as the person who would initiate another hike up Longs. There are too many other mountains in Colorado that I have not climbed yet.

Tuesday, August the 5th was an easy day. The whole family went to Bear Lake. We did the half-mile trail around the lake. I think that was the slowest half-mile that I have ever walked. We then hiked to Nymph Lake. The rest of the day was hanging out at the Inn if I remember right.





Bear Lake









Fire weed, Bear Lake, & Longs Peak











Carter and his squirrel at Nymph Lake









On Wednesday, August the 6th we went Sprague Lake. Everybody did the short hike around the lake. Afterwards we went Hidden Valley Picnic Area so that Carter and Cara could watch the ground squirrels perform again. The afternoon was spent eating and beer tasting. That evening it looked like there may be a dusting of snow on Longs Peak.




Sprague Lake













Where's my "other" brother?













Everybody






The next day Jim, Stacy, Carter, and Cara flew home. I got up early and took them to the airport. I went home after that. My parents made it to my place by mid-afternoon on Thursday. We went for a drive on Friday. We went up Fall River Road. Then we drove over to Breckinridge and drove over Boreas Pass. My parents took off on Saturday. Since then, I've mainly been sitting around not doing too much. I've watched a bit of the Olympics. Usually the morning soccer and whatever I can stay up for at night. NBC wants me to feel like I live on the East Coast again. They don't show the coverage Live even though it still says it is live. They delay the coverage an hour. One of Michael Phelps races got spoiled because of that. I have written NBC saying that they should continue using this logic and delay Sunday Night Football in the West as well. I haven't heard back from them. This weekend was a wash in Denver. It rained all day Friday and Saturday. It was more rain then the three previous months combined. There were reports of snow in the mountains above 10,000 feet. I am not sure how much. I didn't make to the mountains this weekend.

That's all for now. Until next time,

MM

1 comment:

Mmm said...

MM, this is Mmm here! We couldn't be more different when it comes to hiking and such but you are far better off for this state than I! Hey, we both like Nickel Creek though and both aren't natives!