Friday, August 08, 2008

High Enough

This is Part 3 of a vacation I have been taking with my family. On Friday, August the 1st, we made are way from Glenwood Springs to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park. Once again Carter found out that 2 hours does not go by in 10 minutes. When we got to Milner Pass in Rocky Mountain National Park, we found a spot of snow that was within walking distance for Carter and Cara. I threw snowballs at Carter.




Cara - The trail to the snowfield is behind her.






On Saturday, August the 2nd, Jim and I went for hike while everyone else took it easy. I think there may have been some shopping going on. Anyway, Jim and I hiked up Glacier Gorge past Mills Lake and Black Lake. We had our eye on Longs Peak. The mosquitoes were bad in some of the marshlands above tree line. The scenery was magnificent though. We got a bit dehydrated on the hike. Something we took note of for a future hike.



View of Longs Peak from Mills Lake










Black Lake











Columbine in Glacier Gorge







Buddy Salute with The Spearhead on the right










My brother poking out of the snow









On Sunday the 3rd, the whole family went on the scenic ride up the Old Fall River Road. I had never been on that road before. It was pretty cool. We stopped at the Alpine Visitor Center at the top of the road. Nana thinks the Gift Shop is the Visitor Center. Everybody but Pops did a short hike up the hill at Visitor Center. I guess 12,000 feet is too high for Pops despite being above 14,000 feet a week earlier. On the way back to our accommodations, we stopped off at another snowfield. I had to tackle Carter in the snow. We had a picnic lunch at Hidden Valley. The ground squirrels put on a floorshow that Carter and Cara loved.



Carter at a snowfield along Trail Ridge Road











The floorshow at Hidden Valley









Stayed tuned for Part 4…

No comments: