Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sports

It has been a while since I have had a sports rambling. College football started last weekend. It looks like it is going to be a long season for my Bulldogs. They put in a lethargic performance against OK State last Saturday. I am not sure if the Bulldogs could beat a Syracuse or a Duke with what I saw on Saturday. I see why Stafford took the money and ran to the 0-16 Detroit Lions. Hopefully, things will turn around. They got a lot of work to do in order for that to happen though.

In brighter news, the U.S. Men’s soccer team is now in first place in their World Cup Qualification group. They didn’t play well, but they managed to get two wins this week. They got two tough games left in October. A win in one of those two games will guarantee a spot in South Africa next year.

As for the Colorado Rapids, they are having their best season since I’ve been in Colorado. They have caught the injury bug lately, but they are in good position to make the playoffs barring a major collapse. Knock on wood.

My latest hiking adventure was today. I drove up to Berthoud Pass. I went for hike on the Continental Divide Trail in the opposite direction than what I did earlier this year. Today’s hike was pretty easy. Most of the hike was above tree line, but the elevation gains were not that bad. I topped out at 12,521 feet on Stanley Mountain.




A scene along the C.D.T.









Another trail shot











More trail scenery








Me on Stanley Mountain. Vasquez Peak is behind me.




Another view from the top of Stanley Mountain. Longs Peak and the Indian Peaks are on the horizon.




Colorado Mines Peak on the left with towers on it.







Back at tree line on the way down.

5 comments:

Pops said...

The picture of the mtn with the tower on top and the lake at the bottom has a place that looks like a giant hand print on the ground. Is that a ski slope or mining operation?

All the pictures are WOW. Beats the heck out of my mall walks.

My Noles didn't do so good either. Lost to Miami. It was close though and wasn't decided until the last play with a dropped pass in the end zone that would have won the game. The O looked pretty good. The D not so good. We may have to just out score our opponents this year.

Nana & I took Carter to the Elon-Davidson game Saturday night. Elon won 56-0 & Carter became a big Elon fan.

Cara says "hi uncle Mike."

Mighty Mike said...

The towers are just radio towers. The hand print on the ground is the remains of an old ski area at Berthoud Pass that closed in 2001. The area is now big for backcountry skiing.

Hi Cara!

Pops said...

Both the Dawgs & the Noles won yesterday. Maybe things are starting to look up for our teams.

mark said...

Hey, careful there mr! Don't make me come beat the red out of your neck:)

Orange Rule!

Pops said...

Yesterday was a good day for college football. My Noles won, your Dawgs won, Ginger's Gators won, & Jim's Bulls won (but lost their QB). For a week at least all is well in football land.