Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Into The Fire

Friday morning, I took the Fiery Furnace tour in Arches National Park. The Fiery Furnace is a sensitive area that the park service is trying to keep as natural as possible. It is a maze of fins. There are lots of dead ends. The only way to visit the Fiery Furnace is by tour or possibly a special permit if one has done the tour before. The tour I took consisted of 25 people. It is 3 hours long and goes by rather quickly. The hike is only 2 miles. Everybody follows the ranger in single file over rock, between rocks, and through washes. My pictures for this hike don’t come close to capturing the beauty of the place. My camera was less than a week old, so I haven’t figured it out yet. Regardless, I doubt I could have captured the beauty even if I knew my camera better. Below are the pictures that came out okay.



Sunrise from the park road.


Three Gossips & The Organ on the left. I'm not sure what the big boy on the right is called.




Skull Arch in the Fiery Furnace











In the Fiery Furnace







Kissing Turtles Arch











Ranger Casey





Looking towards Balance Rock from inside the Furnace








Fiery Furnace






Surprise Arch





Looking back on the Fiery Furnace





To Be Continued...

-MM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool that you got a tour. Hope you like you new picture taker.
--cn

Pops said...

The picture look pretty good to me.

Virginia said...

Sign me up for that tour. Loved your pics. Had to work to find the "kissing turtles" but I found them. Guess they didn't want to stand out against the sky like the other turtles. MOM