Sunday, April 24, 2011

Uprising

The following takes place on Saturday, April 16th. This was my last real hiking adventure on my Utah trip. It was the toughest hike of the trip that was made a little rougher by a lack of sleep. I hadn’t slept well all week, and on this last night I had noisy neighbors camped near me that woke me up during the middle of the night. Fortunately, it was not as bad as a certain night in Yellowstone N.P. a few years back. Anyway, I got up before sunrise and made the trek to Canyonlands, which was around an hour’s drive from where I was camped. At Canyonlands, I hiked the Syncline Loop Trail. The trail is a little over 8 miles. The Syncline Loop Trail circles the controversial Upheaval Dome and Crater. The debate is how the dome and crater were created. I didn’t get a good look at dome or crater, but I did see lots of beautiful canyon scenery.



A view along the Syncline Loop Trail




The trail goes down and around the massive rocks on the right.






The Trail







Rock Cairn








The ground was covered in salt at this spot of the canyon floor.







Me







Me again








The way out.







Looking back







Looking back again






I was tired after the hike. The temperature was not really hot, but the sun’s rays were draining. Plus, the lack of sleep was getting to me. I also had an ankle that was tender. I think my boot may have been too tight. So I decided just to make a few stops at overlooks and call it a trip. And a good trip it was.




Green River Overlook







Lizard





An overlook on the way out of the park





Until the next hike,

-MM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like some tuff hiking. I like the green river overlook.
-----dave

Pops said...

Great scenery. Looks like you had fun.

Virginia said...

Glad you went even tho' you were tired. Not a hike I could take--8 miles, no way--so I have to enjoy it thru your lens. We got some views of the salt mining operation from a dirt road outside Canyonlands. Very interesting. MOM