Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fireplace

I have been out of Colorado on vacation for almost a week. I came back on Tuesday when the wildfires really took off. Thankfully, I don’t live in an area affected by fires. The devastation that is going on is real scary. Driving home, I could see the huge smoke plume from the Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs from Denver. I could also see smoke from the Flagstaff Fire near Boulder. I have gone hiking in the area of the Flagstaff Fire a few times.

I had to drive through Colorado Springs to get home. It was quite spooky. The Waldo Canyon Fire took a turn for the worse about the time my plane landed in Denver. The fire jumped a couple of ridges and traveled a couple of miles in about an hour. I went through the Springs around 6:00 P.M. I hit traffic around the Air Force Academy. Traffic was only bad on I-25 for about 4 miles. I was driving through Smoke from the Air Force Academy till I got past Garden of the Gods Road. I was lucky to get through when I did. I-25 was closed shortly after I went through. It was closed to help evacuate the area. I have heard 32,000 people have been evacuated because of the Waldo Canyon Fire. Here are a few photos from my drive.




I-25 near the Air Force Academy





I-25 at Garden of the Gods Road



The view of the smoke plume taken south of Colorado Springs



American Red Cross

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am a robot, try number 8, no comment i am tired of retyping.
-dave

Anonymous said...

no comment,tired of trying not to be a robot. tried 8 times now
---dave

CJ said...

wow. bad fires.

Pops said...

TV coverage of the Springs fire looks BAD. Good to hear you got home safe & sound. We got home this evening. Our van thermometer registered 104 degrees on our drive home from GA.