Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mr. Jones

I climbed Jones Mountain (13,221 Ft.) this weekend. Since it is only a thirteen thousand foot mountain, it doesn’t get hiked much. To access the mountain, I took the Ptarmigan Lake Trail. The trailhead for it is off of the Cottonwood Pass Road west of Buena Vista. It is 3 miles to the main lake. I had an early enough start that I had the trail to myself on the way up. The Ptarmigan Lake has an elevation of 12,147 Ft. It is an easy hike to it though. It is uphill all the way, but the grade is pretty gradual. It is about a mile to the top of Jones Mountain from Ptarmigan Lake. This part is steep, but not rough. The view from the top was great. I was able to pick out the 14ers in the area. I didn’t see any other hikers until I got back down to the lake. I took a lot of pictures. Here is a big batch of them.



A small lake with Turner Peak




Jones Mtn. and one of the lower lakes




Ptarmigan Lake and Jones Mtn.




Ptarmigan Lake and Jones Mtn.


Turner Peak, Mt. Harvard, Mt. Columbia, Ptarmigan Lake, and a marmot



Wild- flowers




Mt. Yale and Ptarmigan Lake


The ridge of Jones Mtn., Turner Peak, Mt. Harvard, Mt. Columbia, & Mt. Yale

Mt Antero (Pointy one on the left) Mt. Shavano & Tabe- guache Peak are also visible


Looking towards Cotton- wood Pass and the Three Apostles



Colorful




Mt. Yale and Ptarmigan Lake




Father's Day Wild- flowers




Looking back at Jones Mtn.




More Father's Day Wild- flowers





What Father's Day Wildflowers don't quite work. How about this instead.

3 comments:

Pops said...

I sure do like the Father's Day picture/sign. From the pictures it looks like you had a good time today. How I do envy you these hikes. We were in GA this weekend & just got home.

Anonymous said...

We think that is really a bear in that "marmot" picture (S & CJP)

Mighty Mike said...

I think it might be more like pure bred wolverine.