Monday, August 03, 2015

New State Of Mind

For Part 3 of my section hike on the Colorado Trail, there was a change in the plan. I took the day off and skipped a section. I had originally planned to backpack from Copper Mountain to Tennessee Pass in about one and half days, but my body was telling me I wasn’t going to be able to do that. Having observed how early the storms formed the day before, I was worried that I might not be able to make it across the above treeline part of that section before the storms hit. I couldn’t add an extra day to hike it because that would not coincide with my parents plans. I thought about another slack pack day, but it would have been an 18.5 mile slack pack. I didn’t feel up for it. So I took the day off and navigated for my parents on a drive in the Leadville area. Our first stop was Camp Hale. I wanted to check out the trailhead as well as see the historic site. The 10th Mountain Division trained at Camp Hale during World War II.
Camp Hale
Camp Hale
After lunch in Leadville, we drove around Lake Turquoise where we had nice views of Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, and Mt Sherman.
Mt. Sherman & Lake Turquoise
Pops & Mt. Elbert
Mum

1 comment:

Pops said...

It was an enjoyable day for us.