Monday, August 31, 2015

Roundabout

On August 22nd, I did the Comanche – Venable Loop Hike in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The trailhead is southwest of Westcliffe and is conveniently called Comanche and Venable Trailhead. I got on the trail 6:07 A.M. and started the steep climb to Comanche Lake. I had been to the lake before. The hike was steeper than I remembered. I kept on going after reaching the lake and made my way to the saddle between Comanche Peak and Spring Mountain. From the saddle, I detoured off the trail and climbed Comanche Peak (13,277 ft.)
Comanche Peak
Horn Peak (left) Comanche Peak (right)
Comanche Lake
Crestone Needle, Mt. Adams, Kit Carson, Challenger Point
Venable Peak (left) Spring Mtn (Right) 
Me on Comanche Peak
After enjoying Comanche Peak, I backtracked to the saddle. From the saddle the trail contours around Spring Mountain (13,244 ft.) to the Phantom Terrace. At this point, I decided to make another side trip. I detoured off the trail again and climbed Venable Peak. (13,334 ft.)
Spring Mountain (left) Horn Peak (center)
Kit Carson & Challenger Point (middle)  Crestone Needle & Crestone Peak are partial blocked by Mt. Adams to the left Kit Carson
Top of Venable Peak.  San Luis Valley in the haze.
After Venable Peak, I climbed back down to the Phantom Terrace. The Phantom Terrace is a ledge that the trail follows down to Venable Lakes. It is supposedly haunted because the ledge is hard to see at a distance. From Phantom Terrace, it was a downhill of about 6 miles to my car. I finished the hike a little after 3 P.M. I estimate my hike to be about 14 miles
Phantom Terrace
Venable Lakes from the Phantom Terrace
Looking back at the Phantom Terrace
Venable Lakes
Cabin in need of repair

1 comment:

Pops said...

Quite a hike. 14 miles, two 13'ers, mostly up & down, a haunted section, & above tree a lot of the way. Bet you slept good that night.