Monday, January 15, 2007

Winter Park

With the weather being so frigid, it can be tempting to sit on the couch and wait for it to thaw out. I had been resigned to doing that with the temperatures hovering around O° F. Then I was presented another option. I got invited to go skiing on Sunday. I gladly accepted. The Ski Destination was Winter Park. To get to Winter Park you have to take US 40 over Berthoud Pass (11,307'). Yep, that is the same road that the weekend before had an avalanche that made the national news. (No one was killed or critically hurt in the avalanche if you hadn't heard.) You got to figure it is much safer go up there after the avalanche has already happened. We saw the spot where it came across the road. It was pretty close to the bottom of the mountain. Anyway we made it across the Pass without any problems as expected. Skiing at Winter Park was a lot of fun. It didn't seem as crowded or as commercialized as Breckenridge. There were a few runs where I didn't have to worry about other people. That made it easier for me to work on my skiing skills. The weather wasn't too bad. It got a little chilly on the lifts, but overall it was not too bad. We were prepared for it. On the way back we stopped off at Tommy Knocker in Idaho Springs for some food and spirits. I enjoyed a Maple Nut Brown Ale and a Buffalo Roadhouse Red Chili Burger. Mighty good!!! Here are a couple of ski pictures.








Mark















Me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about those black diamond runs, ay? We had about 1 inch of snow in Elon, NC last night & today, and the stores are just about out of bread and milk. Pops

Anonymous said...

Mighty mike
I just reviewed you blog that "pops" showed me.
Way too much snow!!!!!!!!!!!Big Joe