Thursday, September 27, 2007

Book II

Happy Belated Birthday to my blog. I had meant to do this post yesterday, but I had a cold that was getting the best of me. I ended up crashing on the couch after work and forgot about it. I'm feeling better now. Anyway, my blog debuted a year ago yesterday with the post: Moved In, Hiking, etc. Not one of my more creative titles. I enjoy looking back on the old posts myself. I'm just amazed about all the places I've been this past year. I want to say thank you to everyone who has left comments. They are very much appreciated.

Can't say I did too much last weekend. I watched a lot of football (both kinds) and unpacked boxes. I did get out on Tuesday after work. I walked to Mt. Carbon in Bear Creek Lake Park. The top of this magnificent peak is about a 35-minute walk from my place. The elevation is a whopping 5,779 feet. Ok, maybe it's not whopping, but it is nice to have in the backyard. Here is a picture from it.













Bear Creek Lake from the side of Mt. Carbon. Mt. Morrison is on the left. Red Rocks is in front of Mt. Morrison. It would be visible if it weren't for the late day Sun.

I have added some pictures to my Picasa site. They are some extra pictures from my Mt. Elbert hike last month. There are a couple of shots of the rock shelter from 1981. You can't really tell what it is though. Unfortunately, I didn't have any pictures of the smelly pitters at Halfmoon Campground to include.

Women's soccer made the mainstream news today. Unfortunately, it was for negative reasons. The U.S. got thumped 4-0 by Brazil in the semi-finals of the Women's World Cup. Making it worse, the U.S. coach is being heavily criticized for making what is being called the worst move in coaching history, and they are talking all sports. It was the leadoff story on Behind The Lines and 1st & Ten on ESPN. It is not often that you see the demand for a coach to fired when the coach has 50+ wins and only one lose. At least soccer is getting coverage. Personally, I think the coach has had a deer in headlights look to him throughout the tournament. It was his first major tournament, and he seemed to crumble in the pressure. Lost in all of this though, was the fact that Brazil was by far the better team today, period. They deserved the win.

Anyway, I hope to get back in the mountains this weekend. It has been too long.

-M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like "Life in Colorado" the past year has been good for you. Except maybe your old living quarters.

Hope your Dogs sofened up Alabama last Saturday for my Seminoles this Saturday.

Oh yeah, I undersdand the alcohol in beer kills cold germs.

Anonymous said...

nice lake, Don't put any water lillies in like my pond!